When people see the title, Gaming and TV, it is highly probable that they are thinking this piece will be about the best TVs for your video game console. However, that is not it at all. In fact, we would like to discuss the best and worst TV shows based on video games. You probably didn’t even realize the two were connected until now.
If you are a serious gamer you are spending more of your time researching the best gaming headsets, than determining which TV shows represent your games. Those headsets will set you back a pretty penny, but you will be sure to hear the people on your team, and all the incredible tracks playing in the background of your favorite games. You might even want to plug them into the TV to check out these best and worst shows based on games.
Top 5 Best Video Game Based TV Shows
Watching your favorite video game characters on TV without a gaming console hooked up might seem a little odd. However, these five games made such a huge impact on their fans they were turned into TV shows. See if you remember watching any of these great game-based shows:
- Sonic the Hedgehog– Sonic battled Dr. Robotnik in a post-apocalyptic world. The voice acting was great, and the overarching storyline made this show all the better. Even if it was kind of dark thematically.
- The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!- The live action section has been determined by some to be better suited for the worst list, but Captain Lou Albano and Danny Well deserve some credit here. The animated versions of the show are definitely the highlight though. Watch an episode.
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?- This show got its start as an educational computer game. Your new gaming headset would have assisted you here. Players had to prevent Carmen from doing damage to the world. The show was more successful than the game ever was.
- The Legend of Zelda– Link, though mute in the game, has a voice in the show. It was actually part of another show and only lasted 13 episodes. The writing was questionable and cheesy, but fans still attribute greatness to the show overall.
- Donkey Kong Country- Kong is set to protect the Crystal Coconut, a wish granting item. King K, from the game, is Kong’s nemesis on the show as well. The music breaks, between the actions, are quite entertaining.
You can find more best of game based TV shows here.
Top 5 Worst Video Game Based TV Shows
As with all good things, there must be a corresponding list of the bad. These are the 5 worst video game based TV shows:
- Mortal Kombat: Conquest– The only good thing about this show is Kristanna Loken.
- Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm– Saturday morning cartoons couldn’t actually represent the game’s excessive violence and that took the “cool” right out.
- The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog– The chili dog focus gave us all heartburn.
- Mutant League- The show may have lasted two seasons, but it was trash from the beginning.
- Rabbids Invasion– Though hilarious in the game, they just become irritating Minion imitations on TV.
If you’d like to see some more terrible video game TV show take offs, click this.