There was a time when experts say that perhaps children should not watch television yet because they may not watch shows that are good for them. There are some options now that will allow you to lock some channels from your kids so they will not be exposed to shows that will show them too much violence, sexual content or will just confuse them about the world that they live in.
Choosing television shows that you can watch will be different from choosing the shows that your children can watch. You are already of age and you know what you want. You know what can entertain you. If you want to watch all shows that include Stephen Collins, this will be up to you. For your children however, you need to protect them because they are still young
You do not have to worry too much anymore. More and more educational shows are now available on television. Just remember that not all children’s shows are educational. You still have to scrutinize each one before you will let your children watch some of the shows.
There are some shows that are highly educational but may be too boring for your children. For example, math lessons that are not told in story form or will not make use of any characters will be simply that – boring. You will find your children doing other things instead of learning math from the television.
Here are other things that will help you find the right shows for your kids:
- Search for shows that can make your children happy and will inspire them to think about new ideas.
- Search for shows that will let your children have a deeper understanding about life in general. For example, you can let your children watch shows about animals so that children will understand why they should take care of our furry friends.
- Look for shows that you can watch with your kids. It will be more fun for children if you can watch some shows with them. It will also serve as your bonding time with each other. If you would not do this, your kids might sometimes feel alone especially if they do not understand the shows.
- Look for shows that are positive. At an early age, you need to teach your kids that there will be some problems that they will encounter in life but they will be able to go through the issues if they would have a positive outlook in life.
- Search for shows that will also teach your children about social and emotional skills. You may think that this is pointless because academics are more important but in the long run, don’t you think that social and emotional skills will take your children farther in life? Through teaching social and emotional skills, you can be sure that your children’s self-esteem will also grow bigger.
Be there to guide your children in every way so that you can explain the difference between what can be seen on television and what needs to be done in real life.